WHO WE ARE

antler-star-grey-red

Welcome to the Alameda Elks

We are neighbors who come together to meet, have fun, and help each other and our community in various ways. 

We invite you to get to know us!  

Start by giving our secretary a call at 510.522.1015 ext. 11. He can answer your questions about all things regarding the Benevolent Protective Order of the Elks (B.P.O.E), give you options on possible upcoming events you can check out, or set up a personal tour of our lovely historic building.

Come on over, and pay us a visit! You might be surprised by what the Elks have to offer

Elks Officers

ALAMEDA OFFICERS

Exalted Ruler
Steve Giddens
email

Esteemed Leading Knight
Lee Watson, PER
email

Esteemed Loyal Knight
Andrew Custer
email

Esteemed Lecturing Knight
Steve George
email

Esquire
Deirdre Sargent
email

Chaplain
Jeff Silva
email

Inner Guard
Rian Tiernan
email

Tiler
Ric Bierman
email

Secretary
Howard Weinman
O: 510.522.1015  X 11
F: 510.522.1227
email

Treasurer
Elizabeth Dos Remedios
O: 510.522.1015
F: 510.522.1227
email

Lodge Musician
Robert Minot
email

1 Year Trustee:
Mark Graham

2 Year Trustee:
Roy Stout PDDGER

3 Year Trustee:
Leah Fischer

4 Year Trustee:
Chris dos Remedios

5 Year Trustee:
Jeff Cowell

Want to become an Elk?

A little Elk history

NOV 23,1867

Charles Vivian, Richard Steirly, Cool Burgess, Henry Vandemark & Hugh Dougherty played the first game of “Jolly Corks” at Sandy Spencer’s Bar at Broadway & Fulton in New York City.  The “Jolly Corks,” the beginning of the Elks, lasted from Nov. 25, 1867, to Feb. 15, 1868, and included their founder, Charles Algernon Sidney Vivian and E.M. Platt, F. Langhorne, William Carleton, William Sheppard, Richard R. Steirly, John T. Kent, H. Vandemark, H. Bosworth and M.G. Ashe.

“Jolly Cork” members voting for “The Royal Antediluvian Order of Buffaloes” were C.A.S. Vivian, R.R. Steirly, M.G. Ash, H. Vandemark, H. Bosworth, Frank Langhorne and E.W. Platt. Voting for the name “Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks” were W.F. MacDonald, G.W. Thompson, T.G. Riggs, W. Carleton, W. Sheppard, G. Guy, H. Dougherty and W.L. Bowron. The name “ELKS” was chosen by a committee viewing an Elk head at Barnum’s Museum.

 

FEB 16, 1868

JUN 8, 1868

The first B.P.O.E. fund-raiser was held at the Academy Of Music at 14th Avenue and Irving Place in New York City. On March 20, 1870, the first Lodge of Sorrows was held for Brothers George E. Farmer and John W. Glenn; on the same date in 1880, the founder of the B.P.O.E., Charles Algernon Sidney Vivian, passed away of pneumonia in Leadville, CO.

Claude Goldie received a New York State Charter for the B.P.O.E.’s New York Lodge No. 1, and the first Grand Lodge meeting was called to order at 4:15 PM at 114-116 East 13th St. in New York City. In 1874 the B.P.O.E. instituted the position of District Deputy Grand Exalted Ruler.

FEB 12, 1871

MAY 31, 1889

The tragic Johnstown Flood killed 2000 people, and the B.P.O.E. began its tradition of helping American citizens with a donation of thousands of dollars for relief.

The BPOE was incorporated nationally. In 1896 the American Flag was added to the B.P.O.E. altar arrangement. 

1895

FEB 18, 1898

GER Meade D. Detwiler of Harrisburg Lodge No. 241 (Harrisburg didn’t become Lodge No. 12 until 1904) secured the Elks first gavel, an ebony instrument made by “Jolly Cork” J. G. Wilton.

The present Elks emblem was adopted.

JUL 5, 1903

MAR 17, 1906

The Alameda Elks Lodge No. 1015 was instituted.

The Great San Francisco Earthquake took place. Immediately following the earthquake, members of Alameda Elks set up a tent city for arriving families from SF on open land located at the cross streets of San Jose, Park Street and Oak Street. Members provided medical and dental services, daily meals, made sure all school age children were enrolled in classes and assisted in finding employment for all able bodied persons in the community. The Alameda Elks helped more than 5,000 people after the earthquake and, because of their generosity and the community’s welcoming spirit, more than 60% of that number remained and became residents of Alameda.

APR 18, 1906

SEP 30, 1908

PGER John K. Tener of the Charleroi Lodge umpired a spirited baseball game between a team from Greensburg Lodge No. 511 and the Boston Red Sox, led by Cy Young; the Elks won by 2 – 0.
The use of the “Eleven O’clock Toast” on occasions where non-Elks were present was given official Grand Lodge permission.

1919

1923

The Green Bay Elks Lodge held a benefit to raise money for the Green Bay “Packers” Football Club.
The Elks Memorial was rededicated in Chicago, and the man who pulled the American Flag aloft that day was Brother John “Jack” Bradley of Appleton, WI, one of the marines who raised the American Flag at Mt. Suribachi in Iwo Jima.

SEP 8, 1946

1970

The “Hoop Shoot” became an Oregon Elks state program. In 1972 was introduced nationwide. In 1976, GER George B. Klein dedicated Elks Hoop Shoot Plaque at Basketball Hall Of Fame.

Katy Rusting is initiated as the the first woman to join the Alameda Elks. Katy has been a very active member of the Elks and continues to be a proud member today.

1996